Creamy, cheesy macaroni and cheese is so comforting, especially on a holiday. But I love a buttery, crunchy crust, too. More than just toasting bread crumbs, I like to mix in ground pecans and salty parmesan…as well as some fresh parsley. Make this crumble while the HoneyBaked Macaroni and Cheese is warming up. The topping comes together in five minutes with just a few minutes of prep.
- 2 packages HoneyBaked Double Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup ground or finely chopped pecans (you can grind in a food processor or use a spice grinder)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1½ tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
Heat the packages of HoneyBaked Macaroni and Cheese according to the microwave instructions. You can also heat them in a large sauce pan on medium - just cover with a lid if you do. Meanwhile, heat a skillet on medium. Melt the butter. Stir in the Panko and pecans. Toast 3-4 minutes. When they start to brown, stir frequently with a wooden spoon until fully toasted, 5-7 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool. When the macaroni and cheese is heated through, transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish. Mix the parmesan and the parsley with the breadcrumbs. Top the mac and cheese. Serve.