Who doesn't love grilled cheese? It's one of those homemade foods that brings smiles to people's faces – especially when paired with delicious, well-made Garden Fresh Gourmet® Tomato Soup with Parmesan. This festive recipe comes together quickly in the kitchen – a few refined, elevated ingredients make the difference. Gruyere cheese is used for the crostini crisped with butter in a cast iron skillet. And champagne vinegar is stirred into juicy plum tomatoes with thick, golden olive oil. Serve the fresh thyme-infused soup in petite cups. It's party fare that easily gets guests into the holiday spirit.
- 2 24 oz. containers of Garden Fresh Gourmet® Tomato Soup with Parmesan
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme + 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (pulled off the stem)
- 1 mini baguette, sliced ¼" thick
- 2-3 ripe plum tomatoes, cored and diced into ¼" pieces
- 1½ tablespoons premium extra virgin olive oil
- 1¼ tablespoons champagne vinegar
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 4-5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4-6 oz. gruyere cheese, grated
Place the Garden Fresh Gourmet Tomato Soup with Parmesan in a medium sauce pot. Add the sprig of thyme. Heat on medium until it comes to a low boil, 10-12 minutes. Stir a few times to ensure even heating. Remove the sprig just before serving.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar. Add the tablespoon of thyme and mix again. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to make the toasts.
Heat a large skillet on medium heat 1-2 minutes. Butter one side of each of the baguette slices. Place them buttered side down into the skillet. Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top. Let toast until the bottoms are nicely browned and the cheese is melted, about 7-10 minutes. If needed, cover the skillet with a lid the last couple minutes to finish melting the cheese.
Ladle the soup into single serve bowls. Place the toasts on a festive plate. Spoon the champagne marinated tomatoes evenly on top. Serve alongside the soup for dipping.