I love little honeynut squashes. They are mini butternuts that are now available in the produce section of several grocery stores. Many people still don't know about them, which is why I like to serve them for gatherings during the holidays. And when roasted and charred until soft with good olive oil and honey, they bring out the distinct flavor that I like with Garden Fresh Gourmet® Butternut Bisque with Ginger. In this recipe, the honeynuts serve as edible spoons – which makes people giggle and creates a memorable holiday moment. Tangy crème frâiche, which is a fancy version of sour cream, balances the soup, while the fresh ginger makes it all pop.
- 2 24 oz. containers of Garden Fresh Gourmet® Butternut Bisque with Ginger
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2-3 honeynut squashes, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and seeds scooped out
- ⅓-½ cup extra virgin olive oil (depending on number of squashes used)
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (depending on number of squashes used)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup crème frâiche (use sour cream as an alternative)
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated on a microplane (or minced)
- Sprigs of fresh rosemary for garnish
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Place the Garden Fresh Gourmet Butternut Bisque with Ginger in a medium sauce pot. Add the broth. Stir well. Bring to a low boil on medium heat, about 10-12 minutes. Turn down to low until ready to serve.
Place the squash cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and honey very well. Drizzle over the squash. COOK'S NOTE: Make sure the oil and honey are fully mixed before drizzling over the squash. The honey can bubble up and slightly burn while roasting. Season with the salt and pepper.
Place the squash in the oven on the center rack and roast until soft and tops and edges are slightly charred, 30-35 minutes. Check for doneness at 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes or until the squash is easy to touch.
Ladle the soup into single serve soup bowls. Place the squash on one side of each bowl. Add a dollop of crème fraiche next to the squash spoons. Place small bits of fresh ginger next to the crème fraiche. Garnish with the rosemary. Season with more salt and pepper as desired.